Monday, January 4, 2010

Headed Home





My time in Costa Rica had come to an end. I woke up early and actually applied makeup - something I had given up on in Tamarindo because even applying it was hard with the humidity and then it would just sweat off in a few hours. I went downstairs to a lovely buffet breakfast and chose a table near the jacuzzis and pool. It was cool and breezy and I ate the best bread with pineapple.

My waiter was the same sweet man who had brought me my room service dinner the night before. He had asked me randomly what the English word was for homeless people. He had such a hard time with it - "om-e-less" was what he wanted to say. Anyway, he came up to me at the breakfast table and poured me that wonderful Costa Rican coffee and repeated the word.

After breakfast I carefully repacked my bags to protect my souvenirs and puttered around for awhile until the mall across the street opened up. I walked over and bought yet more coffee in the supermarket and then went to enter the mall since both people at the hotel had told me it opened at 9:30. Nope - not til 10am. So, I wanted 10 minutes outside and went in. The funny thing was that it still didn't look open. A few places opened but the majority were closed. Within the next 1/2 hour, a few more opened, but still...it was very odd. I tried to ask a women what time the shops usually open, but she just looked at me strangely and said 10. I don't know if this was Latin time or what, but it was strange. There really wasn't much to look at so I walked home not long after.

I found a working computer and wrote a very long blog on New Years and then it was getting close to my shuttle time. When I was dropped off at the airport, just about 2 1/2 hours early (they had assured me I didn't need more time than that), I saw a huge line and thought, "oh no, not again". Then, I realized that it was just for American Airlines and was relieved to see that it was actually very short. I got in line and they had people looking through the carry-on luggage. I got up to the line and the lady asked if I had paid my taxes to leave - nope! Had to get out of line to do that and then luckily didn't have to wait to get back in.

I went to the next part of security and that line was luckily fairly short. I noticed though that every line I had gotten in grew enormously after I got in it - I was so grateful to not be repeating my experience on the way to CR. I put my carry-ons through the x-ray machine where they put my back pack through twice. Then, the lady went through my bag - one of the first times I think I've ever had that done. She searched it and came out with the electrical tape I had in there. I used to use it on my liquids to seal the lids, but hadn't this time. It was a small roll - mostly used up, but she looked at me, wagged her finger and said, "lady, no!" and threw it away. I asked if needed to get rid of my water bottle, but that was fine.

I walked around a bit before my plane - since I still had at least an hour. The first flight was okay - I didn't sleep - wasn't even tired - just tried to keep my mind busy so I didn't think about being thousands of feet up in the air. We arrived in Mexico City and they let us off on the tarmac. It was cold outside, but I was prepared this time with a jacket. We took a transport to another part of the airport and then had to stand outside for a few minutes until they brought down the security who used their wands on each of us to look as added security before they would even let us in the airport. There was more security holding some kind machine pointed at us - I'm sure they were looking for something more.

Once inside, this time I knew what to do. I went to find out where my gate actually was - which I would have to come back at boarding time to find out. I also made sure that I went through immigration - where there was a long line but fast moving. I went back to the information booth where she told me I had to go to the other side of the airport. I was glad I had plenty of time because I walked around that airport a few times at least. I arrived with a few minutes to wait and saw security come and set up. First, they looked through our carry-ons again. Then, we had a full pat down on our way onto the plane. Security was definitely tight, but I have to say it made me feel much better flying on the planes. I actually appreciated it!

The flight seemed to take forever and even landing took forever. Then, I think we took a tour of LAX in the airplane before we finally parked. After waiting awhile on the plane, I was finally on US soil again! There is something nice about coming home! It was just past midnight - and we were supposed to land at 11:40. Luckily, there were not lines through customs, my suitcase was one of the first out...I was outside by 12:30 with my parents and my dog - who gave me a big kiss on the face. She never licks my face (for which I am thankful) but this time it was kind of nice.

And to let you all know, my friends did finally email me. In their haste, the girls had left behind the information and name of the hostel at which we were to meet. Luckily, they were all safe, but at the end of the trip did get robbed. I haven't heard the whole story yet, but all is well that ends well.

That is where my story ends!

No comments: