So, Friday in New York started off saying goodbye to Meredith who was on her way to a friend's party in another state. I had slept in until nine, which felt good being so tired from it all. Meredith's mother then took me to breakfast at a little French cafe where I had yogurt, granola, and fresh fruit in a dainty white cup with a French feel. She then walked me to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, but along the way showed me several noteworthy buildings. We took the bus across Central park and then walked along 5th Avenue looking at the mansions of wealthy New Yorkers of past history. Unfortunately Carnegie's mansion was covered up, but they certainly are impressive homes. We also went by Frank Lloyd Wright's Guggenheim museum. Modern buildings are not usually my favorite, but this is certainly interesting and a pleasing asthetic.
We stopped in a private all girls high school that is absolutely an amazing place. I think if I had been surrounded by the beauty of such grandeur architecture, I would never be able to live and work in such simple and boring surroundings that seem to make up most of Orange County, although maybe I would be used to it and therefore bored of it. I'm not sure but maybe one day I'll be able to find out.
It was raining this morning and rained much of the day. I think the alternative of the previous hot weather was worse, so I didn't mind the rain so much. I was grateful for my sandals so that I wouldn't be wearing soggy close toed shoes all day.
The Met is an imposing building on the central eastern edge of Central Park. We walked up the steps to the entrance and then proceeded to have my purse semi-searched (they didn't put much effort into looking). I had to check my yellow banded umbrella in to coat check. I was informed that the recommended $25 for the adult ticket into the Met was just that - recommended. They put that word in very small letters underneath the word "admission" so that one would not realize there is no need to pay $25. Trudy, the true professor she is, made sure I knew I could just pay $1 or whatever I wished to get in. I stood in a very short line ( people wait in the very long lines to the sides and seem to not realize there are very short lines in the front) and handed my dollar, expecting to get an odd look, but the girl without so much as a wince, handed me my blue button to wear and a receipt and I walked past the security guard.
Trudy took me on an orientation tour through the Met and pointed out a few highlights and then left me to my own devices. The museum is overwhelming. There is no way you can do it in a day. My highlights on the morning trip walking through the armor and the weapons (which who would have thought to be so beautifully crafted with such ornate design).
I walked around the Egyptian Temple of Dendur. I greatly enjoyed the historical room tour in the American wing, although I started at the end with the 20th century rooms and worked my way down to the 17th century rooms. I love looking at what life used to be like for people. The rooms are usually a little too ornate for me, but elegant and beautiful. I loved vivid colors and beauty of the Tiffany windows and an Art Noveau room with carved wooden wisteria hanging down the walls.

There was also a Byzatine portico recreated that was perfect.

I decided to take my break from the museum and go to Le Pain Quotidean, upon recommendation from Meredith, for lunch where I enjoyed a Quiche Lorraine and a mochacinno, and then a almond, cheese danish. The walk to the restaurant and then over to the Frick collection at the Frick mansion, was lovely, albeit rainy. The buildings and doorways on the Upper East side are so interesting and pretty. Some of the doorman were friendly as well. You also can't go too many blocks without seeing a cathedral or chapel with it's towering spires and ornate doors.
I saw across the street aways a Vosges Haut Chocolate, and of course stopped in for my two favorite truffles - the Red Fire and the Naga. I did pass a beautiful French bakery serving macarons. I had to take a picture of the window display and then purchased a beautiful box of 6 macarons to leave with Meredith's parents as a thank-you gift.

I walked to the Frick Collection in part because it was in a museum turned gallery (which was the plan by it's owner). It did have a lovely collection of paintings by Whistler, Sargent, Gainsborough, Turner, Constable, and many more. The ceilings were incredible. Most were carved wooden molding. The rooms with a lot of gilded molding were not my favorites. I was able to listen on the audio guide to the description of the room and what it was used for as well as some key pieces of art I wanted to know about. It was here I saw the self portrait of Rembrandt - which is exquisite. My two favorites though were in the first gallery of women by Whistler entitled "Symphony in Flesh Colour and Pink" I think I just have a fascination with clothing in part. I also really find I like the Asian influence on European art at that time as well though.
After that gallery I walked to a shoe store a few streets into the Upper East side to try on some Toms. I thought a small flat shoe would work well for my trip and take up little room in the bags, but they didn't fit right on my feet. While that trip was useless, I still love to walk the streets of New York.
I made my way back to the Met for a few more viewings of art since it stayed open until 9pm that evening. some of my impressionist favorites (although I spent very little time since I had seen this on my first trip there years ago).
I really enjoyed the new wing on the Middle Eastern lands.

The florals designs are beautiful and the detail in carvings exquisite. I don't think we see much of that beauty showcased or emphasized in America, but as I have been more exposed to it, it certainly peaks my interest in those lands. I also did a quick run to the Astor Court, a recreation of a Chinese courtyard.
I love having google maps to help direct me. Luckily it quickly directed me to a bus that I could take up and around Central Park to Amsterdam and 110th, near the Koronet pizza place, where I had been recommended to have pizza. I found it without much mishap and ordered their slice of pizza. I have never seen such huge pizzas in my life. I couldn't even finish the one slice I ordered (although I did come close).

I walked back to the apartment from there, exhausted and happy. Trudy helped me plan my next day's adventure and off to dreamland I went.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment